Rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

Monday, August 30, 2004

More books

I bought a couple of new books at the weekend. (I don't think I enjoy buying anything else as much as I enjoy buying books.) They are: Ursula K Le Guin's version of Lau Tzu's Tao Te Ching, and Fred Brooks classic book of software development The Mythical Man Month.

I find it quite relaxing to lose myself in the pithy and inscrutable sayings of an ancient Chinese philosopher, just reading and re-reading until it makes some kind of sense.

I've just scanned The Mythical Man Month so far. Chapter 18 has a good summary of the chapters. The diagram in the first chapter "The Tar Pit" illustates the order of magnitude difference in development time between a program you might write for yourself and a programming systems product that could be sold. I think everyone involved in a programming project, incuding the client, should see that diagram before they start.

No comments: