Rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

I heart Ruby

I've been working my way through the Pickaxe book, mostly over a nice coffee and panini at Caffé Nero, and I'm really enjoying what I'm finding out about Ruby. It takes the best ideas from more academic languages such as Lisp and Smalltalk and puts them in a practical setting, with a well designed expressive syntax. It gives me a great feeling of liberation to know I that all these wonderful new toys (full OO, continuations, closures, introspection, metaprogramming) are within easy reach. I can see myself devoting a lot of time to Ruby. I'm sure it's a worthwhile investment.

1 comment:

Alex Farran said...

I'll let you know. Looks like I'm going to be pretty busy on other projects for a month or two. After learning Ruby I'll get going with the rails framework.

I think the best demo of Ruby/Rails would be to reimplement all or part of some PHP software in Ruby. Integrating software written in two different languages wouldn't be the simplest place to start, but it may be a pragmatic option when there's already a lot of code written in PHP.